July 17, 2007

This is the bike I've been riding to and from classes. It's an awesome piece of early 90's technology. At the moment the seat is up as high as possible and my legs are still crunched when I pedal. Most of the people here walk, bus or ride a bike. There are a lot of cars, don't get me wrong... really nice BMW's and Mercedes and what not, but there is very little room to park. In lots of places the cars are on the sidewalk when the street is too narrow. Even the grocery store has only 10 spaces for parkinglot style parking.

The bike ride to school this morning was tough. It's all up hill (inland) to the university. With only 3 gears and a back pedal brake.... you get the idea. 90% of the people i've seen have been in amazing shape. I feel like a blob trying to ride my bike up a small incline. The ride is only about 12 minutes, by the end of the week I plan on being able to make it to class without panting.

Coming back the dorms is easy, all downhill. It's the perfect time to stop for errands. There isn't a gorcery store that carries everything. Nothing like a walmart or target here. Food is at the Aldi, it has a few other things like TP and papertowels. Maybe some dish soap, laundry detergent, and to my surprise, a few office supplie- but not much! There are stores similar to Walgreens, only without the pharmacie. There is another place for that. The pharmacies here are amazing! You walk in and talk to the Pharmacist about your ailments. Right there at the store they prescribe the medicine and sell it. You pay full price in most cases, but skip the price of a doctors visit. They say that pharmacists here know more than the doctors about cures- doctors are for plastic surgery and broken bones.

1 Comment:

  1. Leah said...
    Hey girl!
    I'm so glad you are posting a blog about your trip. I wish I was there with you. we will have to plan a trip someday. Keep us posted. Love you! Leah

Post a Comment